The holidays are here and that means too much small talk at holiday parties, not enough sleep and more sweets than your body has had in a year. If you’re anything like me, the small talk at all the parties gets old. I can’t tell you how much easier my life has been since I started Last Night’s Game. The sports talk has been my savior in dull conversations. Here’s your guide to working the room this holiday season.
Heisman Trophy Ceremony
On Saturday, December 9th the Heisman Trophy will be awarded to the best player in college football. The winner is chosen by over 870 media in addition to a vote from every former Heisman winner, 58 currently. There is one vote from the fans for a total of 929 votes.
Working it into the conversation
- Coincidence with the holiday season? All three of the Heisman Trophy finalists this year play for teams whose primary uniform color is red.
- While breaking out your dance moves at your favorite holiday party, do your best “Heisman.” This pose is well known by sports fans and would complement your shopping cart or sprinkler dance moves nicely.
- Previous winners are guys you might have heard of like O.J. Simpson, Bo Jackson and Tim Tebow. (If you’ve never heard of them, that’s okay too).
College Bowl Games
In the football world you can’t talk about December without mentioning Bowl Game Season. Not every team is chosen for a bowl game, so it’s special to make it.
Working into conversation
- Like your end of the year bonus, these games are an end of the season bonus for teams. These one-game matchups are a payday for the universities. The bowl games equal cash and a promise of TV time and great national exposure for the teams.
- No one likes to travel during the holidays for no particular reason. These games aren’t for simply the exposure, there’s cold hard cash involved. Companies will pay around $100 million a year to sponsor the games. The conferences then make big money when one of their teams attends a game. How much? Find out.
- Two special bowl games to note. On January 1st, the top four teams in the country will play in the college football playoffs. Oklahoma will take on Georgia at the Rose Bowl (Pasadena, CA) and Alabama will take on Clemson at the Sugar Bowl (Atlanta, GA). The two winners of those games will play for the national championship in January.
Christmas Day Basketball
The NBA (National Basketball Association) saves its best matchups for Christmas Day. It’s considered an honor for a team to play on Christmas Day.
Working it into the conversation
- Much like your donning your ugly sweater for that special party, the teams wear special uniforms for the games that day.
- The New York Knicks have had the honor of playing the most Christmas Day games in NBA history. The Charlotte Hornets, Memphis Grizzlies (owned in part by Justin Timberlake) and the Minnesota Timberwolves have never played on Christmas Day. (Although the Timberwolves are finally playing on Christmas this year).
Last Night’s Game is here for you whether it’s a holiday party, board meeting or a blind date. We’ll empower you to join the sports conversation without all the jargon and statistics. Subscribe now to catch our triweekly eblast in your inbox.