Hello SOTGC community,
This post builds on the previous one where we talked about some characteristics a mentor should have. This is focused on people who want to advance in their comapny. One of the most important things to do BEFORE even reaching out to your future mentor, is to know what it is you want for your career.
Questions to ask yourself, when preparing for the first call:
- What are you doing now, in your job, that you love the most?
- Does success mean moving forward up the ladder with that same type of role or to move into another area of the company where you could do that more?
- Example: you’re currently in sales and you want to move into a manager, director, and the a VP role
- What areas do you think you need to improve on, that your mentor can help with?
- This is where a 360 assessment (even an informal one) could help you identify those areas for improvement
- What have you tried doing to advance your career that hasn’t worked so far?
- Also, what things have you seen others do that helped move their career forward that you would like to start doing
- Example: Getting asked to be assigned to projects that have people on them, who you need to network with in order to advance your career
- Example: Asking to be given a chance to lead a project that could showcase your talents and leadership ability