Hello SOTGC community,
It’s a new brand world. You’re branded, branded, branded. We are CEOs of our own companies: Me Inc. To be in business today, our most important job is to be head marketer for the brand called YOU. – Tom Peters
The time is now to begin building your brand. And the secret to it all is authenticity. Each one of you is amazing, and the world is waiting for you to make the big reveal.
Your story matters, who you are matters, and the world will be a better place for knowing the REAL you.
LinkedIn is the fastest growing professional social platform today. Building your brand on LinkedIn is a must. Some people see LinkedIn only as a way to find their next job opportunity, but it is meant for much more. This is a great tool to communicate your brand and gain visibility within your current organization.
Have you ever wondered … does upper management even know I exist? How will I stand out from my peers? What is my competitive advantage?
All of these questions are solvable by developing a stellar personal brand accompanied by an excellent LinkedIn profile. Personal branding is about showing the world who you are and what awesomeness you bring to the table. Truth be told, everyone has a brand whether they know it or not.
If your brand is building the brand of your organization in a positive manner, people will notice and it will help you.
I know what you might be thinking, “Meg, this sounds like a great idea, but how do I get a personal brand?” Discovering your personal brand is a process and will evolve over time. The hardest part is starting. That is why today we will begin with the first step in creating your personal brand by Defining Who You Are. The quote below is adapted from Susan Chritton, M.Ed., PCC principles on personal branding. Learning first hand from Susan while obtaining my certification as a personal branding strategist has been an incredible experience.
Defining who you are. “The beginning of any branding process is being able to clearly define that brand. In personal branding, the product is you! You must take time to get to know yourself and what is important to you. Defining who you are is the foundation of branding.” – Susan Chritton
Ask yourself these questions to start the process of defining who you are:
- What do I love to do?
- What would I do for free? What motivates me to get up in the morning? This might be something you do for fun or a cause you are passionate about. This is all part of who you are and should be included in your brand.
- You may love your current job. If so, make it known to the world that you love what you do!
- What is my life mission statement?
- Remember, writing a mission statement is a process. It is important to embrace the journey of self-discovery.
- Start with thinking of nouns that describe you (i.e., leader, strategist, entrepreneur, world-changer, etc.)
- Add in verbs that describe what you will bring to the world (i.e., inspire, educate, motivate, activate, coach, etc.)
- Write down how you would like to see the world. Example: I hope for a world filled with love, acceptance, and peace. Alternatively, I would like to see everyone in the world know their personal brand and live out their purpose.
- Combine these three elements mentioned above to create a strong mission statement.
- What are my strengths?
- Think about the unique strengths you bring to the world. Are you positive? Do you love people? Are you good at building organizations? Are you an excellent communicator? Find out those traits that make you uniquely YOU.
- There are many ways to discover your strengths. There is something I use called 360Reach analysis that is a positive and anonymous way to find out how you are being perceived. Knowing and understanding this perception is imperative to building a strong and memorable brand. Contact me if you are interested in utilizing this tool!
Congratulations on taking the first step in developing your personal brand! You are off to a great start in defining who you are. Remember, you are awesome, and I believe in you. And if you have not created a LinkedIn profile, do it today! If you need help, contact me below. I would love to be part of your branding process. Please share this post on social media and don’t forget to tag me!
Stay tuned for Part 2 – Know Your Target Audience.
Connect with her via LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/meganweinkauf
Twitter: @meganweinkauf & Instagram: @meganweinkauf