My dearest SOTGC community!
As I walked home from the metro stop after work, I couldn’t help but be whole-heartedly captivated by the scintillating holiday lights strung from bare trees and downtown lamp posts. The finest sheet of snow on the ground and crisp winter air evoked in me an eagerness to seek out a warm and cozy coffee shop to nestle up in with a comforting mug of hot chocolate. All this to say, my dearest readers, the holiday season is lingering in the air and I, once again, find myself reflecting on the past year with nostalgia and gratitude, and find myself looking forward to the upcoming year with anticipation and hope.
I’ve always found the New Year to be a truly unique and vivid month as it rings in the start of what could be our new beginnings. Last year, I started a tradition of a new mental exercise of making 10 promises to myself for 2015.
We often go through our quotidian lives making and fulfilling promises to others. We promise to deliver on deadlines and accomplish the goals set forth by our work team. We vow to keep our friends’ secrets and to always be there for our loved ones. We promise to make more time for dinner dates with friends and for phone calls to family members living far away. We agree to abide by societal rules of speed limits and pay our taxes. No matter what time of year or time of day, we make binding commitments to others, to work and to society, on a day-to-day basis.
These promises, vows, and commitments are indeed important in their own right … however, I believe, my dearest readers, that we too seldom make such promises to ourselves.
It is in light of this, my dearest SOTGC community, that I propose we take the opportunity of December to make 10 promises to ourselves for the upcoming year. Promises that are unique to our needs and aspirations, that speak to our unique dreams and encourage our own personal growth. Vows that set the right tone for the new year to come; a year full of endless potential and opportunity.
Last year, I shared my own “10 promises to myself” on my personal blog. I have included them below to serve as a kick-start to this call of action for our SOTGC community.
Be true to yourself when you make up your list of promises; allow yourself to truly listen to your mind, heart and soul … allow yourself to be vulnerable and authentic. Move forward into the new year with this exercise, which will allow you to both reflect on YOU – the person you have come to know so well – and reflect on all your hopes and dreams for the future!
As promised …. my ten promises to myself from 2015. Enjoy!
- I will not allow my worries or fears to eclipse my dreams and aspirations.
- I will choose optimism over pessimism, not out of naivety, but out of hope and belief in the notion that everything will be all right.
- I will view challenges, mistakes, and roadblocks as opportunities for growth.
- I will keep my eyes on where I want to be but not without enjoying the interim journey.
- I will find my niche in this world, identify a need and passionately be a catalyst for change.
- I will treat every day as having the potential to be the best day of my life.
- I will surround myself with positive people who bring out the best in me and allow me to truly be myself.
- I will embrace my uniqueness and strive each day to be true to myself, my dreams and my passions.
- I will not let the hardships of life or the harsher sides of our world harden my heart or spoil my belief in humanity.
- I will create a life that I fall in love with more with each day that passes.
My dearest SOTGC community, what are your ten promises to yourself for 2016?
If this post resonated with you, share it with your friends, family and colleagues on Facebook and Twitter! Feel free to take part in this movement as we move forward into a year of endless potential and opportunity!