Hello SOTGC community,
Here is an interview that the wonderful Cady Chesney of “The Local Job Network” did regarding unlocking career potential and delving more into the term “Golden Handcuffs.” (Side note: We have taken down the MyGoldenHandcuffs website because we are going to create all those resources in the upcoming change to SOTGC in the upcoming months)
The key takeaways are:
- Golden Handcuffs are something you lock yourself into by becoming disillusioned in your career and not making changes to fix it
- How to break free: get a mentor and a sponsor
- Mentor’s role: have the “hard to have conversation with them about what you need to fix to move forward
- Sponsor’s role: let him/her know your career goals and ask for help achieving them
- My take on the millennial generation: will they find themselves trapped in Golden Handcuffs…?