Hello SOTGC community,
Last week I met with a new client who is struggling to identify and map out her next career move.
“I’m just … I dunno … S TUCK, I guess! I mean, I have so much going on in every part of my life that I can barely keep up; much less have the time to think about what’s next or how to get there. It’s not like I’m miserable at work, but my current position sure isn’t giving me a chance to use my talents and make a real difference. I’m just in a rut, and I have no idea how to get out of it.”
Sound familiar? We’ve all been there. The stress, overwhelm, boredom, frustration, or lack of energy that come from feeling stuck in your current situation.
People get stuck for all sorts of reasons. Some of the most common ones I see are:
- Inner gremlins and limiting beliefs
- Money concerns
- Lack of support
- All-or-nothing mentality
- Low self-awareness (core values, strengths, blind spots)
Ultimately, as a coach, my job is to help people get unstuck.
Coaching assumes that people have all the knowledge, wisdom, and experience they need to find their own solutions and achieve their goals. We work with clients to tap into those inner resources, overcome whatever obstacles they face (real or imagined) and move from where they are to where they want to be.
The next time you feel like you’re spinning your wheels, and you don’t have a coach on speed-dial, try a little self-coaching exercise. Use one of these four powerful questions to get unstuck and move towards the change you desire.
- What are you tolerating in your life? Make a list of the situations, people, and beliefs that you put up with, things that drag you down or keep you from achieving your goals. What are just two or three actions you can take right now to free yourself from one or more of those tolerations?
- Project out a year from now and imagine this situation is exactly how you want it to be. Describe what is occurring in your life? Take some time and create a clear vision. What would you be seeing, feeling, and experiencing? What would those around you be seeing, feeling, and experiencing? What steps did you take to achieve your goal?
- What do you gain from staying stuck? You must be getting something out of staying where you are or you wouldn’t be there. What are the benefits? What are the disadvantages of staying stuck? Do the benefits outweigh the disadvantages?
- Imagine seeing yourself through the eyes of people who truly love and respect you. What new things do you see? When it comes to self-belief, we can have a distorted, almost fun-house-like image of ourselves. Make a list of what others see in you. Now, if you could see yourself through those eyes, what could you achieve? What new possibilities open up to you?
What techniques have you used to get unstuck? Share your ideas with me below or over on Twitter @CaseyAGibson. If you know someone who is feeling stuck please share this article with them.