Hello SOTGC community!
It is quite astonishing how hard we can sometimes be on ourselves, especially when it comes to the way we view and treat our bodies. Confidence, strong self-esteem, positive body image … all integral aspects of the holistic sense of wellbeing that we all deserve and owe to ourselves.
It is easy to succumb to the negative chatter in our minds, but I challenge you to try to silence the self-sabotage and embrace positive self-talk in its place.
BeYOUtiful, the title of this piece, embraces an important notion; albeit slightly cliché, it serves the purpose of reminding us that true beauty lies in being comfortable in our own skin, in our own bodies, in our own existence.
A very wise Maya Angelou once captured the notion perfectly in her poem Phenomenal Woman – “It’s the fire in my eyes, and the flash of my teeth, the swing in my waist, and the joy in my feet. I’m a woman … Phenomenally.”
Next time the negative chatter in your mind begins, silence it with one of the following positive self-talk strategies, and begin to embrace a BeYOUtiful mantra and perspective!
- Think about the amazing things your body does for you!!! Practice positive self-talk and self-appreciation the next time you find yourself thinking negatively in front of a mirror by thinking about how amazing and complex your body really is. Your legs carry you for great distances, your lips can express an endless number of emotions, your heart beats for a lifetime, your arms provide the hugs that comfort your loved ones and your eyes allow you to see the world. Truly remarkable!!
- For every negative find a positive! Break the habit of negative self-talk by focusing on the things that you love about yourself. What makes you unique? What are your best features? At first it may be difficult, but give it a try; becoming mindful of your thoughts is the first step. Be kind to yourself and practice self-appreciation and self-compassion.
- You are unique! Growing up, we were always told that beauty comes in all shapes and sizes; this always holds true but is easy to forget. Next time you are being hard on yourself make a list of the things that make you unique. Is it your freckles or your long eyelashes? It may even be your ability to wiggle your ears or raise one eyebrow at a time. Shedding a positive light on the aspects that make you unique is an important step in being comfortable and feeling beautiful in your own skin.
- Surround yourself with positivity! Encourage positive self-talk, healthy body image and strong self-esteem in your friends and family as well. We’ve all been in a situation where one friend’s negative comment about her body leads to a domino effect of negative self-talk amongst all the members of the group. Instead, foster a positive environment when it comes to social gatherings … remind each other of all the great qualities each and every one of you possess … be an advocate for positive self-talk amongst your friends!
- Friendly reminders! As cliché as it may sound, a Post-It with an inspirational quote or message on the bathroom mirror in the morning can make quite a difference in the way we start the day. It is often the small reminders and dollops of inspiration, scattered throughout a hectic day, that can culminate to change our entire experience!
My dearest SOTGC community, I hope this post has inspired you to begin to be kinder to yourselves and embrace a BeYOUtiful perspective on life. If this post resonated with you, share it with your friends, family and colleagues on Facebook and Twitter! We’d also love to hear about your own strategies when it comes silencing the negative chatter and being comfortable in your own skin! Share your ideas in the comment section below!