Hello SOTGC community!
It’s time to talk about ways to deal with stress. Stress can be a positive force that is stimulating and provides that little motivational kick we need to stick with a project or really shine during a job interview. Stress can also be destructive and actually hurt our productivity, health, and sense of wellbeing. There are many inexpensive and easy ways to decrease our stress level. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Take a deep breath. Deep breathing has been shown to decrease blood pressure and cortisol, a hormone that gets released when we feel physical or mental “stress.”
- Exercise. Exercise stimulates the release of endorphins, which are hormones that reduce pain, make us feel calm, and reduce anxiety.
- Meditate. Meditation can help get rid of the extra noise in your head that can sometimes lead to stress. Meditation also helps us focus on what we are really anxious about and concentrate on how to fix the stressful situation.
- Laugh. Laughter has been shown to decrease the physical effects of stress on the body and put things back into perspective.
- Take a break. Sometimes we are so focused on a problem that we don’t stop to think about anything else. Go for a walk or talk to a friend and come back later. You may be surprised with how your perspective has changed.
- Take some time for yourself. Do something for yourself that you really enjoy. Take a walk, eat or drink something, take a nap, or talk to a friend.
For more information about stress, please refer to the links below:
If you got some great tips on reducing stress please share with someone you know is also struggling with this…and help spread the message.