Hello SOTGC community,
Monday … the most dreaded day of the week. Remember that Bangles song from the 80’s, “Manic Monday”… there is a reason why those lyrics ring true.
Mondays are often disliked because most of us go back to our usual work-week slog. If you are not lucky enough to work in a career that you actually find enjoyable (I know … it’s a crazy thought), and even if you do (like I do), Mondays can get the best of us – and I mean that literally. Statistics show that most heart attacks occur on Monday, which researchers correlate to the perceived stress that we feel about going back to work … yikes!
The interesting thing is that we spend our work week looking forward to the weekend. And why? Because we usually tend to do things on the weekend that give us pleasure. When you think about this, it is a bit ridiculous that we have ingrained within ourselves the idea that enjoyment is something that can only happen on days we are not working.
I don’t know about you, but I would like to have some sense of happiness every single day of the week. I will not wait for the weekend – life is too short.
That being said, here are some suggestions for starting the week off on the right foot:
- Instead of reaching for your newspaper to read the latest depressing headlines, try reading a comic instead. Starting your day off with a smile or laugh can do wonders. Or better yet, read some uplifting or motivational material as a sure way to keep your spirits high.
- Greet your co-workers with a positive attitude and a smile. Not only will you help brighten someone else’s day, the mere act of putting a smile on your face will boost your own immune system and release some of those feel-good endorphins. Note: smiling can be perceived over the phone as well!
- Pack a favorite food for your lunch. Or, instead of waiting for the end of the week to go out for lunch (many of us wait until Friday), do it today instead.
- Pencil some “me-time” into your schedule. Even if this is only a five to ten minute break where you go outside, read your favorite magazine, or meditate, choose to make yourself a priority.
- I don’t know about you, but my weekend is always packed, so I choose to get my nails done during the week. Why not make it a “Mani-Monday”?
If you still have some energy left, which hopefully you will, you could also consider a little fun in the sack. Nothing beats the Monday blues more than a good roll in the hay!
Wishing you a Marvelous Monday!
If this post inspired you and made you smile, please Tweet, Pin, or post to Facebook and help spread the message.