Hello SOTGC community,
How are you? What is good and new? Spring is here, flowers are in bloom, all is well in the world, yes? I love this time of year, what a gift it is to get an extra hour of time to spend with the sun. Who thought of daylight savings? It is a brilliant idea, once our bodies get used to the time change, of course! It takes a few days, but we all adjust.
When I think of the beautiful California weather at this time, the first thing that comes to my mind is vitamin D. Are you getting your vitamin D? Just 10 minutes daily of exposing your skin to ultraviolet rays is enough to get your body what it needs to maintain proper cell function.
So what does vitamin D have to do with mineral-rich broth, you might ask? Well, in order for calcium, a critical mineral that makes up 65 percent of our bones, to be absorbed properly into our blood and bones, vitamin D is needed to facilitate this process. When our bones have the perfect balance between calcium and collagen, which makes up the other 35 percent, they are strong and healthy, with minimal risk of fractures.
Adding a mineral-rich broth to your diet is an easy and effective strategy to keeping your bones healthy and strong. When broth is boiled in high heat for two hours, minerals are drawn from the animal bones into the broth, which makes it easier for the body to absorb when consumed in the form of liquid. Are you ready to try out a mineral-rich broth recipe?
Tips on How to Maintain Healthy Bones
- Get your vitamin D naturally from the sun.
- Take cod liver oil as a vitamin D supplement when needed.
- Drink plenty of mineral-rich broth.
- Eat plenty of calcium rich foods like dark leafy greens, sardines, oysters.
- Include high quality fats and oils in every meal such as coconut oil, olive oil, fish oil, avocados, nuts and seeds. Fats play a critical role in helping the body absorb vitamin D into our bloodstream.
- Keep acid forming foods that deplete your bones of calcium at a minimal. Examples are processed sugars and alcohol.
- Eat plenty of foods high in vitamin C. This is needed for the body to synthesize collagen, which makes up 35 percent of bone. Collagen is what keeps our bones flexible and less likely to break, preventing bone fractures as we age.
- Get plenty of functional physical movement daily. This can simply be done by taking a daily 30-minute walk or doing household chores.
Below are the ingredients and instructions on how to make a Papaya, Coconut and Pork Bone Soup rich in minerals and fat burning foods.
- 2 gallons of filtered water
- 2 pounds of pasture raised pork ribs
- Coconut meat from 1 fresh coconut
- 1 green papaya
- 2-3 ginger roots, each about the length of your finger
- 2-3 celery sticks
- 1 big carrot
- 3 red skin potatoes
- 1 tomato
- 1 red onion
- Himalayan salt to taste
- Clean the pork ribs by putting them in boiling water for 3 minutes
- Rinse the ribs clean with cold water
- Add the cleaned ribs and ginger to 2 gallons of filtered water
- Bring to boil and keep boiling on high heat for 1 hour
- Add all vegetables, keep boiling for another hour
- Add salt
- Let it cool down, enjoy
- Keep left overs in refrigerator
This is enough soup for a family of four for five days. Leave left overs in a big pot in the refrigerator. As you take out a small portion to eat per meal, put it in a small pot and bring to boil before eating.
The papaya and coconut will do wonders for your metabolism. Papaya is rich in vitamins and minerals. Coconut is high in fiber, healthy fats and manganese, which optimizes our body’s ability to efficiently process proteins and fats.
Start adding a bowl of broth into your meals and see how your body responds to the addition.
Enjoy. Here is to healthy bones and a happy body and mind!
Here is a video tutorial I created on the subject of mineral-rich broth and the importance of maintaining a good calcium to collagen balance to maintain healthy and strong bones.
Ready to make your broth today? If you liked this post please Tweet, Pin or share on Facebook and help spread the message.