Hello SOTGC community,
The first time I negotiated with a man, I was intimidated and didn’t get what I wanted or deserved in the negotiation. I have since learned a lot about negotiating and have noticed some key differences in the way that men and women negotiate with each other.
One of the biggest mistakes a woman can make is to enter a negotiation with a man the same way she enters a negotiation with a woman. Here are five things to keep in mind the next time you are negotiating with a man:
1) Never be scared to negotiate. Many women are afraid of negotiating and avoid it at all costs. But men respect women more if they negotiate instead of just giving them what they want without a fight.
2) Change your mindset. Don’t think of negotiating as an unpleasant chore. Men look at a negotiation as a challenge or a competition, and you need to think of it the same.
3) Don’t small talk. Women tend to give a lot of details and include a lot of stories when communicating with a man. Try not to do this. Men want to get to an agreement as quickly as possible, so get to the main point fast. Be concise and avoid the small talk.
4) Don’t try to please everyone. Women worry more about relationships during negotiations and whether the other person is going to like them afterwards. Men care less about relationships and think of the negotiation more as a business deal or a sport. Aim to be respected at the end of the negotiation instead of liked.
5) Establish credibility right away. At the very beginning of the negotiation, show that you have knowledge in the subject matter. This will give you credibility and make it easier to assert yourself and ask for what you want later in the negotiation.
Use these five tips and you will be much closer to a successful negotiation where you get what you want and deserve. Most importantly, don’t wait for someone else to give you what you want. You have to believe it is up to you to make sure you get it.