Hello SOTGC community,
So what do you think you need to do in order to propel your career?
There are certain skills that you need to pay attention to in order for you to be considered a leader at your organization. Remember, being a leader will get you noticed when it is time for a promotion and help you to move up the career ladder. We all possess the technical skills to do our jobs but you must never forget the “people skills” that make you who you are. It is these skills that will remain with you throughout your career and life
- Communication. So what does it mean to communicate successfully? We each have our own personality styles. What sets you apart in the workplace is the ability to be flexible in your approach to different people and situations that you encounter. You need to learn to adjust your behaviors based on who you are working and speaking with. Pay attention to your audience.
- Decision-Making. It is important that you remember to make decisions that align with your values, help the organization that you work for but also help to promote and benefit you. People don’t often think about the long-term effects when deciding something. You must learn to look at both the present situation and beyond when making decisions.
- Building Relationships. This is critical, as your network is everything in life. You need to consider taking the time to build a relationship with co-workers, senior management and people outside your organization. Knowing people is the most important thing you can do for yourself. When it comes time for a promotion, new job, or something that you personally want, calling on your network is easier and will most often pay off.
- Negotiating is something you do throughout your life. Whether it is in your office or in your personal life, you are always asking and hoping to get what makes sense for you. Remember, no one will ever truly negotiate for you like you can. You are the master of your domain and you must learn to advocate for yourself.
- Balance at work and in life. It is important that you maintain balance. Too much in either direction is not healthy. You need to look at your life from a bird’s eye view. Prioritize and understand what is important for you. Even in a hectic work schedule, finding your perfect balance will make you more productive. It seems difficult to think that you can take 20 minutes for yourself, but that time alone will make all the difference. With a sense of calm, you will approach your next task with clarity and ease.
- Organization brings a sense of flow to your day. When you are organized, you are in control and can get more accomplished. Being organized allows you to approach the situation head on. It takes time initially but the time saved will pay off.
- Creativity is allowing yourself the time to think “outside the box.” Giving yourself the space to be creative invites a feeling of empowerment and freedom. It offers a surprise element that you may not have expected.
Do you want to master these essential skills that can benefit your career and life? Contact Upstream Solutions and talk to me about speaking engagements and coaching that inspires and motivates you for positive change. Email me at email@example.com to discuss custom solutions.
Please share my blog post on your social media sites. Thank you!