Hello SOTGC community!
Whether you’re looking to perfect your skills in a foreign language, or only beginning to develop proficiency in a new language, here are 10 quick ways that will help you achieve your linguistic goals, each and every day!
- Listen to music in the language you are looking to learn … you will undoubtedly pick up on words, and perhaps a poetic phrase or two!
- Change the settings of your phone, social media, and computer account to the language that you are working on. You will be amazed at the technical and practical words that you will learn!
- Elicit the help of a friend or colleague that you are comfortable with and who speaks the language. Go out for a coffee, agreeing only to speak that language.
- Read at least one news article in the language you are learning, daily.
- Watch a movie in the language you are working on, even if you need to employ subtitles … anything that you can discern from the movie and learn will be a step in the right direction!
- Read a book in the language you are perfecting – you may need a handy dictionary to begin with but reading is a wonderful way to really learn a language well and expand one’s vocabulary.
- Go to a restaurant that serves the cuisine from the country in which the language is spoken. You may be lucky enough to have a waiter who speaks the language … perhaps the menu can teach you some vocabulary in the domain of foods and drinks!
- Join a club, association, or organization that is involved with the language you are attempting to learn. You will, without a doubt, not only meet people who you can potentially practice with, but will also surely learn about the culture associated with the language.
- Use social media to your advantage; whether it be following a celebrity figure who speaks and writes in the language on Twitter, or joining a Facebook group for people who are also trying to learn the same language, the options are endless!
- Finally if you have the chance, visit the country and immerse yourself completely in the language and culture that you are learning about. Yes, this is by no means a “quick way,” but one that I have always found to be extremely fulfilling and effective. With any journey, it is always wonderful to have something to work towards and look forward to … why not make this the end goal?
My dearest SOTGC community, I hope these ideas will serve you well in learning a new language or perfecting one that you have been working on for years! If this post resonated with you, share it with your friends, family, and colleagues on Facebook and Twitter! We’d also love to hear from you about how you incorporate learning a new language into your day-to-day lives! Share your ideas in the comment section below!