Hello SOTGC community,
The act or an instance of motivating, or providing with a reason to act in a certain way; the state or condition of being motivated or having a strong reason to act or accomplish something. (Dictionary.com)
Stimulation or arousal of the mind, feelings, etc., to special or unusual activity or creativity. (Dictionary.com)
When a New Year begins, inspiration is all around us. A fresh start, a clean slate, and what seems like endless optimism. We’re motivated and pushed into action by resolutions.
The trick is to stay motivated all the time and continue to find inspiration in the everyday. This shouldn’t be hard, right? There are countless studies and articles on the benefits of being active; here’s a quick one for reference: http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/bodywork/the-fit-list/6-Invisible-Benefits-of-Exercise.html.
Let’s review my top five –
- Feel Good – Working out gives you energy, makes you stronger, improves your health, and ultimately makes you more confident in whatever you do.
- Look Good – Eventually your efforts pay off and you start to see the results of your hard work physically. It can be as simple as fitting into your jeans a little better or as dramatic as losing body fat percentages or dress sizes.
- Sleep Better – When you work up a good sweat or strength train, your body needs sleep to recover. Your body will crave the rest and you will find yourself falling asleep as your head hits the pillow.
- Eat Better – I believe that if you do something good for your body, like exercise, it will lead you to make better choices when you eat because your body craves the nourishment (American Journal of Clinical Nutrition(doi:10.3945/ajcn.113 .071381).
- Mental Health – Exercise clears your mind and refreshes your perspective. For the allocated time you are focused on making your body move a certain way, and not thinking about anything else.
Many of us have other, personal reasons to be motivated, whether preparing for a challenge, such as a race or a special event like a wedding, or simply thinking about shedding the winter weight in preparation for spring break. These reasons resonate with us much more than any study.
But to me, the real gem is finding inspiration. It usually happens when I’m being active, and when I’m truly present in the moment …. Just the other day I was running along the beach and I stopped and looked around me. The water was a beautiful clear blue. The seagulls and pelicans were coasting in the wind. It was magic. As cheesy as it sounds, it swelled up in me – that inspiration and a desire to do more and better and to be happy. It made every single step and drop of sweat worth it.
What’s your motivation? What inspires you? Please share with me, share with friends, share daily. You never know who you might inspire…..