Hello SOTGC community,
My first blog was all about how to formulate your goals using the SMART strategy– basically the first step when we talk about effective time management. And remember: “It is irrational to aim for time management. The best what we can do is to change our behavior.”
So let’s head onto the next step: Planning, planning, planning!
Try to plan in advance how you want to structure your day. A pretty easy rule is the 60/40-rule:
60 percent of your day/working hours you are free to plan for your work.
40 percent should be reserved for unforeseen interruptions – because you’ll be confronted with interruptions if you like it or not.
If you come to the conclusion that your time isn’t sufficient to get through your projects or work, you should neither jump into multi-tasking nor reduce you buffer time for unforeseen events. Both are fatal and will only force you into uncontrolled actionism. You’ll have to prioritize your tasks instead! And that is done by: listing your to do’s and Priorities. You have defined and planned your goals. Now it’s time to set up check lists with your tasks and to prioritize them.
The Pareto Principle
This principle states that roughly 20 percent of your tasks are so effective that they result in 80 percent effect. Speaking in terms of business, 20 percent of your clients bring 80 percent of your sales.
What effect has that on time management?
We have to define the 20 percent of our tasks that have the most effect on our defined goals. In a reverse conclusion, we have to distance ourselves from the 80 percent less important tasks and focus only on the remaining 20 percent.
Another good tool for priorization is the Eisenhower Decision Principle.
The Eisenhower Decision Principle
This principle divides tasks into four different categories.
A-tasks: Important and urgent
We have to give our undivided attention directly to these tasks, since they are both important and urgent for our goals.
B-tasks: Important but not urgent
These tasks are perfect for our time planner since they are not urgent but still important enough to be looked after.
C-tasks: Unimportant but urgent
These tasks should be taken care of immediately but not essentially by us. These are things that we can delegate to coworkers or employees.
D-tasks: Unimportant and not urgent
These tasks are neither important nor urgent and will bring us thus no closer to our goal. The best thing to do with these things: Use your wastepaper!
How effective were you in the planning phase? What are your experiences with the Pareto and Eisenhower principles? Share your experiences with me – I am looking forward to hear from you!