Hello SOTGC community,
Before we begin, I’d like to have a quick follow-up from our last visit. How did you do with last week’s task? Did you make a positive impact on someone’s life, provide support and encouragement? Try to continue to bring positivity to others, make it a habit, find it from within and live it!
Increased physical activity, healthy diet, and
avoiding tobacco can help prevent the vast
majority of chronic diseases, including 80% of
heart disease and stroke, 80% of type 2
diabetes and 40% of cancers.
– World Health Organization
June is National Employee Wellness Month. This is such a fun time for the corporate wellness industry because it’s a great way to start (or pick up where you lost) momentum when it comes to employee health and wellness. Companies can showcase how they encourage healthy behavior and create happy and healthy employees.
We spend most of our time at work, which is why it is so important for corporations to support these initiatives and encourage their team to live well. Basic corporate wellness programs can offer a “know your numbers” campaign where they bring in an outside service and give employees HRA’s (health risk assessments). Many companies provide incentives to employees for taking these extra measures; this is where Spafinder Wellness 365TM Gift Cards come in to the equation. Many companies create internal wellness committees to schedule wellness walks, lunch-and-learns, group workouts, and nutrition seminars. There are also really unique wellness platforms that create programs around each company’s goal and are designed for their specific demographic. If your company has a wellness program, please get involved, let your voice be heard, and encourage others to take ownership of their health and happiness. If you are interested in learning more about wellness companies, please reach out to me and I can help connect you to an organization that would fit your company culture.
For smaller organizations, people who work from home, or those organization’s that haven’t yet taken corporate wellness initiatives, we can get you started living well today. I am discussing this now so you can prepare for June.
People are 57% more likely to lose weight when
a friend or family member is involved.
– Christakis, Fowler, New England Journal of Medicine
- Build a team
- Gather a group of men and women who are interested in being healthy and want to encourage others. Once you have your wellness team, wellness warriors, let your coworkers know that you request all participation.
- Set weekly goals
- Weigh ins, food diaries, toss the junk food, discuss healthy passions within your team, and let each person be the driving force. Purchase a healthy gadget, pedometer, Nike Fuel, Jawbone UP bracelet, FitBit. GET MOVING, walking, jogging, yoga, spinning, bootcamp, Pilates, take the stairs.
- Create excitement, team challenges, offer a reward for the winner. Make it FUN.
- Offer educational programs/information/emails. (If you need any material or health statistics please reach out to me and I can provide some for you.)
- Positive encouragement (true story, heard in the Spafinder office … wellness employee #1- “It’s almost time for lunch, I think I want pizza.” Wellness employee #2 – “Pizza? There are a million salad places right here. I’m on my way to go get one, come with me, this place is the BEST.”)
- Light at the end of the tunnel … or not
- On June 30th have an event scheduled for all of the participants.
- Keep it going. Is your health only important for one month out of the year? If you feel like a coworker has lost momentum, pick them up and help them get back on track. Have you lost momentum? It’s okay, it happens, but choose to surround yourself with the motivators.
During the next month and a half please send me your ideas, pictures of you and your team doing your wellness challenges. If you are having trouble getting started, please reach out, I have tons of ideas. If you are looking for information about corporate wellness, health and wellness stats in America, or partnerships with great wellness companies, my door is always open. Go get ‘em!