Hello SOTGC community,
Many of us would consider healthy nutrition as an essential aspect of leading a healthy life and working towards a state of both emotional and physical wellness. Healthy nutrition is indeed an integral part of the journey towards a state of wellbeing; it is, however, important to also acknowledge that HOW we eat ‑ that is, the food behaviors we engage in ‑ are just as important as WHAT we eat.
Here are five strategies for adopting a healthy approach to eating and developing a positive culture around cooking, dining, and nutrition! Here’s to developing a healthy relationship with food!
- Where you eat counts! In the midst of a busy and hectic schedule, it can prove difficult to take the time to eat all of one’s meals at a designated dining table. Although not always feasible, there are many benefits to having at least the majority of one’s meals at a designated area over the course of the week. Eating at a table allows one to be more mindful of the act of eating. This not only allows one to be more conscious of what one is eating, but also allows for meal times to be more pleasurable and enjoyable, permitting for a more mindful experience of texture, taste, and satiety.
- Good company is key! What a beautiful experience it is to enjoy a delicious meal with family and friends. Take the time to enjoy meals with those closest to you whenever you can! Meal time is a wonderful opportunity to be social, and sharing this time and experience with others adds a great dimension of joie de vivre to one’s day. In many cultures, meal time is a chance for friends to catch up on each other’s lives, for families to talk about the day’s happenings, and for communities to connect and celebrate. Cheers to good food and good company!
- Keep things interesting! Life is all about discovery and trying new things; food can be a perfect vector for exploring new cultures, traveling to new parts of town, and even learning new skills. Whether it be engaging in a cooking class with a friend, finally trying out that hidden gem of a restaurant on the other side of town, or trying a new type of ethnic food for the first time, take advantage of food as the perfect excuse to explore new horizons!
- Connect with nature! In today’s society, food preparation and purchase can often be associated with large chain supermarkets, which place us at a significant distance from the earth that bears the fruits, vegetables, grains, and products that we enjoy every day! Whenever you have the chance, visit a farmers market or even visit a venue where you can pick your own fruits and vegetables! Plan a social outing to an apple orchard on a sunny autumn day or, if you live farther north like I do, collect your own maple syrup at a Sugar Bush in early spring! Why not try your hand at gardening or start an indoor herb garden? Connecting with the natural origin of the foods we consume is a great way to develop a healthier relationship with food!
- Food equals energy and nutrition! It can sometimes prove difficult to view food in a positive manner when we are primarily focused on calories, fat content, and “diet.” At times it can be quite worthwhile and healthy to take a step back and remember that food feeds our bodies, offers us energy, and provides us with invaluable nutrition. Food is fuel for our bodies and minds, allowing us to pursue our ambitions and dreams. By developing a healthy relationship with food we are on the right path towards emotional and physical wellness!
Bon appétit SOTGC community!
So what do you think? Ready to go make your next dining experience truly and experience? While you’re at it, please share this post with the friends and family you plan on sharing this experience with.