Hello SOTGC community,
Being a freelancer takes a lot of hard work and dedication in order to make it a thriving career move. In many cases, working as a freelancer can mean working just as many hours (if not more!) as a 9-to-5 job. However, there are also freedoms that come with being self-employed, such as flexible schedules, midday yoga breaks, and a chance to work from virtually anywhere that has a good Wi-Fi connection.
To help make your freelance career flourish, you will want to keep a few things in mind to keep the ideas and income flowing.
- Set a schedule. Sure, no one is telling you what time you have to get up, but many people find that morning is their most productive time. Try starting your day at 7:30 and see what kind of work you can get done before most people have logged into their computers. You’d be surprised at how much you can accomplish with just your first cup of coffee.
- Break up your tasks. Typically, as a freelancer, you will be working with more than one client on more than one project at once. Before you become overwhelmed with deadlines, task out each project by priority. Allot yourself a specific amount of time per project so that you can give your full focus to each dedicated task. Google Calendar is a helpful tool to use to get an overview of your day and what items need to be completed when.
- Limit your (personal) time on social media. Don’t leave tabs for your Facebook, Twitter, or personal email open throughout the day as it’s easy to get sidetracked by notifications. Although it may only seem like minutes at a time that you’re checking for updates, procrastination can often make you look back and wonder what happened to the afternoon. Allow yourself break times, but then dive right back into work uninterrupted.
- Reward yourself. You are your own boss now, so you get to call the shots. Completed a big project ahead of schedule? Made three new business connections? Treat yourself to a frozen yogurt, read a few chapters of the latest book laying on your nightstand, or enjoy a long lunch with a friend. Small treats throughout the week can help keep you motivated and drive you to work even harder.
- Don’t ignore the work/life balance. Set some rules for yourself so that you have time away from your computer and mobile devices. Make sure you take breaks for meals and allow places like your bedroom to remain a place for relaxation – no laptops allowed! Carve out time to grab a drink with a friend, take a class at the gym, or do whatever else helps you to unwind and recharge.
Freelancing can seem like a big step, but as long as you have a plan in place, your actions will help make things happen. Surround yourself with like-minded individuals who are ambitious, supportive, and passionate about what they do, and you will find yourself inspired to give it your best too!
Since SOTGC was created to be a forum for discussion we’d love it if you joined the conversation. Please comment with your thoughts below and have a great day.