Hello SOTGC community,
Have you ever opened your closet door on a workday morning and thought, “What in the world am I going to wear today?!”
Are you tired of wearing the same thing over and over again?
It’s an all too common experience, especially for us professional women. We’re busy. We’re overbooked. And the last thing we want to stress over is what to wear.
We still appreciate the value in looking and feeling our best on the job.
Here is a strategy guaranteed to quickly get you dressed and take your weekday outfits from drab to fab. Start with your foundation pieces (ie. suit, dress, or skirt and blouse/top, etcetera). Then select one of the following five different ways to instantly add some pizzazz to your basic pieces:
1. Mix Patterns – Add a black & white dot blouse and a black & white colorblocked satchel bag with your black suit or an abstract print dress and two-toned pumps with a navy blazer, etcetera. The most important trick to mixing patterns or prints is to select at least one common color. Start with mixing two pieces. Experiment. Have fun. You’ll be a mix-master in no-time.
2. Play with Proportions – Switch out your traditional suit jacket for a cropped version and pair with your go-to classic pencil skirt or wear an a-line skirt with a fitted top or an oversized cardi with slim-fit pants, etcetera. The simplest way to achieve success in playing with proportions is to opt for only one garment that has a non-traditional cut/design in your outfit, and if you go big on top, go narrow on the bottom and vice versa.
3. Incorporate Dramatic Colors – Dramatic does not have to mean bright. A cobalt blue cardigan sweater or a pastel seafoam green blouse both get the job done – each are trendy colors that enliven an otherwise classic outfit. Accessories are an effective and fun way to incorporate color as well.
4. Add Texture – A nubby knit sweater, a faux croc belt, a tweed skirt, a blazer with leather accent panels are just a few of the countless ways to add interesting textured materials to your weekday work outfits.
5. Experiment with Accessories – Accessories are not frivolous. Be sure to include them as a standard part of your wardrobe budget. Charming jewelry, show-stopping handbags, amazing shoes – be creative and instantly add visual interest to your outfits. Remember a little goes a long way!
Image credit: 9to5Chic